This breakfast is easily vegan and gluten free.
Toasted Oatmeal with Strawberry Chia Jam and Coconut Whipped Cream
- 350g strawberries (frozen organic, or other berries*)
- 3 tbsps honey (maple syrup or agave nectar)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds 2 tbsps coconut oil (or butter)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk (choice, I used light coconut milk)
- Sea salt (or Generous pinch kosher)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 pinch ground ginger (optional)
- flax seeds, toasted nuts, shredded coconut
- 1 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (chilled at least 10 hours, the coconut milk MUST be full fat and MUST be refrigerated for at least 10 hours. Put a mixing bowl in the freezer or refrigerator to chill while you’re at it.)
- 1 tbsp honey (maple syrup or agave nectar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- The Strawberry & Chia Jam takes the longest to make, so let’s start with the jam. Get the recipe here.
- Make the oatmeal: Melt the coconut oil/butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oats and toast over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they start smelling fragrant and toasty, around 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, combine the milk, water, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Bring the mixture to a slow boil over medium heat. Add the toasted oats and gently stir once or twice to incorporate the oats into the liquid. Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let the oats sit on the burner, untouched, for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, uncover and check the oats. Mine were perfectly done at this point, but if yours are wetter than you’d like, let them continue to absorb water in a covered pot for a few more minutes.
- Make the coconut whipped cream: Pull out the chilled can of coconut milk and mixing bowl. The coconut cream should have separated from the liquid by now. Flip the can over and open it from the bottom with a can opener. Pour out the coconut water (reserve for smoothies if you’d like).
- Scoop the solid coconut cream into the chilled bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream until fluffy and smooth. Add the sweetener and vanilla extract and gently blend again to combine. Use the coconut cream immediately or cover and store in the fridge for later (it will be soft at room temperature and firm when cold).