<p>This recipe takes us back to basics, with a classic flavour combination of lemon thyme and chicken.</p>
Perfect Roast Chicken with Lemon Thyme and Jus
- 1 whole chicken (about 2 kg)
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 lemons
- 10 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, skins left on and bruised
- 1 small sweet potato (about 400 g) roughly chopped
- 500 g mixed coloured baby carrots
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock, unsalted
VARIATION: Try playing around with different herb combinations both inside and outside the bird.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with the coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with one whole lemon that has been pierced with a knife, about half of the sprigs of lemon thyme and one of the bruised garlic cloves. Using some kitchen string, tie the legs together.
- Place all the veggies in a roasting pan along with the leftover garlic and sprigs of lemon thyme, then drizzle with the extra oil and toss to coat. Sit the chicken on top. Drizzle it all with the juice of the remaining lemon and then add the squeezed lemon halves to the pan. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken in the oven and roast it for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. If you are using a meat thermometer, you will know the chicken is cooked when the thigh reads 70°C. Alternatively you can cut into the meat – if the juices run clear, you’ll know it is ready.
- Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a chopping board, loosely cover it with foil, and allow to rest for about 15 minutes or so.
- After removing the veggies, pour the roasting pan juices into a saucepan and combine with the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10–12 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. When the jus is at your desired consistency, serve alongside the chicken and veggies.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe that appeared in Clean Living Cookbook by Luke Hines and Scott Gooding, published by Hachette Australia. Photographer: Steve Brown. Stylist: Trish Heagerty.