We turn the humble zucchini into the pasta in this dish – it’s so easy to do and great for your health.
Zucchini Linguine with Poached Rainbow Trout and Chia Seeds
- 4 large zucchinis
- 1/3 cup avocado oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- juice and zest of 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- a pinch of sea salt
- 400 g rainbow trout fillets, boned and skin off
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1-2 TBSP Natures Way Chia Seeds
Variation: You can try all sorts of different fish with this dish. We make it with salmon as well. For a vegetarian option, omit the fish and add a beautiful kale pesto.
- Julienne the zucchini in a food processor or use a potato peeler to shave off long, thin slices, then cut into thin strips to create the pasta.
- Blanch the zucchini in salted boiling water just until the water comes back up to boil, then drain, rinse and toss in a bowl with the avocado oil, basil leaves, lemon juice and salt.
- Place the rainbow trout fillets in a pot of already boiled water, put the lid on and sit it on the bench. Remove the fish after 5 to 8 minutes depending on how well done you like your fish.
- Drain the fish and flake it apart gently with a fork. Toss with the zucchini pasta, lemon zest, extra avocado oil and toasted pine nuts and top with the chia seeds for crunch and texture.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe that appeared in Clean Living Cookbook by Luke Hines and Scott Gooding, published by Hachette Australia.
Photographer: Steve Brown. Stylist: Trish Heagerty.