Taste, texture, smell, and even colour will all affect whether a child will enjoy a particular food or turn their nose up at it completely
Why Gummy Vitamins are a Great Way to Top Up Kids Nutrition
As any parent can attest, feeding kids a healthy, balanced diet is a challenge. Fussy eaters can make planning a meal that they will actually eat a big challenge. Taste, texture, smell, and even colour will all affect whether a child will enjoy a particular food or turn their nose up at it completely. Even non-fussy children with an appetite for most foods can still have types of food, or even entire food groups, that they avoid, which might mean they’re missing out on some important vitamins and minerals.
Vitamins and Minerals At Work
Those vitamins and minerals support a host of growth and development functions in the body. Vitamin A is used by the body for proper eyesight and immune system strength. The B vitamins are important in converting food to energy; tissue repair, especially the skin and eyes; and supporting a healthy nervous system. Vitamin C is well known as an immune system supporter, and an antioxidant. Vitamin D is used in organs all around the body, while vitamin E is useful in keeping cells healthy.
The minerals also have important work in the body. Calcium is essential for strong bones and good nerve and muscle function. Iron is fundamental to red blood cell function as it transports oxygen around the body and assists with energy production. Zinc, too, does its job in helping wounds heal up and boosting the immune system.
A Healthy Balance
Leaving any one of these vitamins and minerals out of our diets entirely can cause health problems. That is why it is so important that our growing children get all the vitamins and minerals necessary for a healthy body.
While we all know that getting our nutrients from food is best, it may not be easy all the time. To combat possible vitamin and mineral dietary inadequacy in kids, some parents supplement their children’s diets. There are pros and cons to using vitamin supplements, and care should be taken when choosing to do so.
There are lots of reasons to supplement your children’s diet with vitamin gummies.
1. They are an easy way to get kids to eat nutrients they might be missing. Kids (and adults, too!) love gummies, and most gummy vitamins taste great. So, when the battles over food become too much, it can be reassuring to know that your child is at least getting a pack of healthy nutrients in their gummies.
2. If you are careful and research what gummies you are giving your kids, it is possible to target the gaps in their diet. It is important to read the labels and understand what they contain and in what amounts so you can be sure they’re not getting too much of one thing or not enough of another.
3. If your family or child has restrictions on their diet, gummy vitamins may help supplement the vitamins and minerals that may be missing due to the dietary restriction.
4. Knowing that your children are taking gummy vitamins during times of potential inadequate dietary intake gives you the peace of mind that they are being offered a range of the nutrients their growing and developing bodies can use.
As with all supplements, taking gummy vitamins should be done with care.
1. While gummy vitamins should offer a balanced complement of vitamins and minerals, be sure they do not offer too much of any one vitamin and mineral. As well, be careful with single vitamin supplement doses. Taking too much of any one vitamin or mineral can cause negative side-effects, some of them serious.
2. Be careful to store the gummy vitamins out of reach of children. Because they taste so good, children might be tempted to help themselves, but too many vitamins can be unhealthy for their bodies.
3. While offering a gummy vitamin can give a sense of security that your child is being exposed to the vital nutrients, a supplement does not replace a healthy diet. Continue to offer balanced meals and explore new recipes that your child might enjoy.
It’s easy to see why, when done carefully, adding a gummy vitamin to your child’s diet is an easy way to help them get a healthy boost of many necessary nutrients when a dietary intake gap needs to be addressed. They’ll get the vitamin and mineral support for their growing bodies, and you’ll get some peace of mind, knowing you’re supporting your loved ones’ health and growth.