Preparation time: 0:10
Cooking time: 0:35
Serves: 6 x 1 cup servings
Calories: Approximately 400 calories per serve
- 300 grams scallops, cut into halves
- 4 tsp reduced-sodium tamari, or soy sauce,
- 4 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 tsp grated or minced garlic
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup trimmed and diagonally sliced snow peas
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
Step 1: Place scallops in a medium sized bowl, add tamari and gently mix through. Set aside to marinate.
Step 2: Place 1 Tbsp. canola oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add quinoa. Cook, stirring constantly for approx. 6-8 mins until the quinoa begins to colour. Add garlic, stirring, until fragrant. Add water and salt and bring to the boil. Cover and cook for approx. 12 mins until the water is fully absorbed. Once cooked, let stand, covered, for 5 mins. Use a fork to fluff quinoa. Stir in snow peas, cover and set aside.
Step 3: Remove the scallops from the marinade and pat dry. Heat a large frypan over high heat and add the remaining 2 tsp canola oil. Add scallops, cook for approx. 1 min each side, until golden and just firm. Gently stir the scallops into the quinoa salad.
Step 4: Meanwhile, whisk 3 Tbsp. canola oil, the remaining 2 tsp tamari (or soy sauce), vinegar and sesame oil in a large bowl. Add the quinoa and snow peas, scallions and bell pepper; toss to combine. Sprinkle with fresh coriander to serve.