Wild Mushrooms Superfood Powder added for extra flavour and for it’s immunity building nutrients. So good!
Mushroom Barley Risotto
- 450g Brown Cup Mushrooms slice
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 onions diced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 cups salt reduced stock
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tsp wild Mushroom SuperFoods Powder
- Large handful of rocket leaves
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra sharp Parmesan cheese (optional) I added it!
- Salt & pepper to taste (it’s pretty salty though so just a couple of grinds of salt / pinch should do)
*Warm the 4 cups of stock in a pan, and keep it warming as you make the risotto in another pan.
- Heat coconut oil in a big soup-style pot (that comes with a lid) on the stove over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir every few minutes until softened. You don’t want to burn it, so keep an eye on it! Adjust heat accordingly.
- While that’s cooking, chop your mushrooms.
- Once the onion mix is soft, add the mushrooms and stir cooking for 5 mins.
- Add the wild mushroom powder and stir for a minute
- Add the Barley and stir for a minute
- Add the red wine vinegar and stir for a minute until it evaporates
- Add the balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup of the warmed stock. Stir.
- Put the lid on the pot and turn heat until it’s on a low simmer.
- Keep stirring every few minutes and adding more stock in 1/2 cup lots for about 40 minutes. Never let the risotto get too dry, but don’t add too much liquid that it’s a soup! If you run out of stock, I added boiling water in small lots until 40 minutes was up.
- Grains should be a little firm, not sloppy.
- Remove from heat and stir through the rocket leaves and Parmesan
- Serve immediately as a main or a side, or divide into smaller portions and store in the fridge or freezer for later.